Situated on the corner of St George’s Terrace and Mount Street in the ‘West End’ of Perth’s CBD, The Terrace Hotel encompasses the heritage listed St George’s House.
Originally named Bishop’s Grove, St George’s House was built in 1892 by the Anglican Church, and is a splendid example of terrace style buildings developed along St George’s Terrace at the latter part of the 19th century.
St George’s House lies on a site known as Bishops See, made up of a number of the first grants of land in the colony later known as the City of Perth. At its peak the site contained six main buildings and related structures; today, only two remain – St George House and Bishop’s House.
The building has been significantly adapted since its construction; notably in 1912 when a two-storey veranda was added on all sides.
The post-Depression trend towards inner city living in Perth – based on concepts derived from contemporary European trends and in the style of Art Deco and Style Moderne – led to significant additions and alterations. In 1939, a further 26 bedrooms with ensuites were added.
In 1961, the building was converted from a boarding house to offices in response to high rental values in Perth’s CBD.
In 1986, St George’s House was marked for destruction due to its dilapidated condition until leading property developer Lord Alistair McAlpine saved it and undertook a massive restoration. Architects Oldham Boas Ednie-Brown removed years of additions and reduced the number of rooms from 60 to 30.
Hawaiian Property Investments used the building as their offices between 2000 and 2002 and it had stood empty until early 2011 when renovations for The Terrace Hotel began.
Rich in West Australian history and cultural significance, St George’s House is a reminder of a former way of life in the City of Perth and now, in its rebirth as The Terrace Hotel, pays respect to its heritage and injects this celebrated building with new life for generations to come.